Monday, March 12, 2012

What I Did About Nicks in Wood Trim Around Our House

You are going to think that this is a product plug, but I can assure you, it is not.  I was not asked to, no did I receive any sort of compensation for writing this post.  Just sharing a "duh, why didn't I know this sooner" moment with you!

I know that one day in the next year or so we will have to move.  It's the military's way.  In the past, I have always had a good idea of when we would be moving.  Then we knew approximately when we should put the house up for sale.  This time, however, I really don't know!  Which drives us crazy at times because we are big planners.  Huge planners!  I do know whenever it is, it will be a lot of work to get this house in shape to sell.  I know some things that have helped in the past to make our house(s) look their best.  One thing we did that had a big impact was clean the wood cabinets in our kitchen.  A product like these is good for cleaning wood cabinets.
source
source












So I decided to get a jump start on our current house and thought I'd start with the kitchen cabinets.  (I mean why not- that's what huge planners do, right?)  In the past, I used Murphy's Oil Soap and it worked great!  Our 15yr-old kitchen looked brand new!   I didn't see it at the store (it was probably there)  so I picked up some Pledge Revitalizing Oil.  It has an orange scent that I can tolerate.  Well, after I wiped down cabinets, I thought I would take it to some areas that are really beaten up...the kids room!  Just to see what might happen.

Check out these before and afters!



We seriously thought we would have to replace this window sill...guess not!  Whew!  A little Pledge oil did the trick!


I can't believe it's the same wood!  I love you Pledge oil!

I really had no idea that a product like this was capable of results like this!  And that is why I am sharing this info with you.  (Plus I got nothing else to yap about today- ha!)  I just thought this stuff was only good for cleaning my cabinets.  Well, it just saved us a lot of money because we were planning  to sand and restain all the wood.  OK, we would have paid someone to do it (like chumps) so we wouldn't screw it up.  You probably already knew about this stuff, huh? (You're like "duh, Kate!")

Well... that crosses "Repair Wood Trim" off our list!  

7 comments:

  1. Wow! I guess that's going to be at the top of my shopping list this week! Thanks for the post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome! thanks for sharing! I'm going to give it a try too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! That is AMAZING!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously amazing! We have painted trim but I have a feeling that is going to be a great thing to try on our furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie I was just looking at my trim and ledges and feeling hopeless at all the dents and nicks! I don't think it will work on our ledges bc they are painted but hopefully some other areas....great job on your before and afters! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A-MAZ-ING!!!!!!!! I totally need to do this in my house too. Thanks for the info and great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did it last long, or did the nicks re-appear after time and did you have to re-apply? That is what happened with mine after some time in between.

    ReplyDelete

Share this

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...